From the Pentagon's Feb. 2006 "Report to Congress Measuring Stability and Security in Iraq:"
As stated in the last report, a noteworthy indicator of progress in the security environment has been the enemy’s inability to derail the political process and to foment large-scale ethnosectarian violence. These are their objectives, and they are failing to achieve them.
Rejectionists, Saddamists, and Terrorists have failed to achieve their common operational objectives to:
• Derail the political process
• Foment large-scale ethno-sectarian violence
• Deter development of the Iraq Security Forces
• Damage Iraqi public trust in the Iraq Security Forces
• Expand the conflict regionally
• Widen their political support among the Iraqi People
• Force the premature disengagement of the Coalition
Along each of these lines, the trend has moved against enemy goals.