Monday, February 13, 2006

Coachspeak


You hear a lot about the "football mentality," as if it's a good thing. Here's an example of that mindset, delivered by a local high school coach who somehow found a way to connect a minor rules change with "Queer Eye":

The GHSA is going to give the losing coach the opportunity to ask for a continuous clock if the lead is 35 points or more in the third quarter. In the fourth quarter, it's apparently automatic that the clock will run continuously if a team is down by 35 or more.

I despise the rule. So I'm supposed to tell my team, a stadium full of parents, and our entire school that I'm giving up on my team? Don't think so. I'm going to fight until the end. And I'm going to get as much valuable playing time for my second- and third-teamers as possible. Asking a coach to make that decision tells me that the people who are coming up with these rules have never coached a day in their lives.

I attribute this to the feminist culture that has pervaded our culture and taken over education. This culture has tried to construct a unisex world for our children, made our little girls want to become little men, made our little boys grow up to think that "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" is perfectly suitable entertainment and all of us just should accept them for who they "were born to be." It's the same culture that drugs our active little boys to make them behave more like the little girls, and the same culture that says that soccer and its torque-induced epidemic of knee and ankle injuries is a "safer alternative" than football.

Listen, it's OK to lose. As long as you do it with class, dignity, integrity, and a good work ethic. I thank God for the valleys. That's what makes the mountain peaks so utterly spectacular. What has happened to our world? Sigh.


Glad to know this guy is shaping young minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment