Monday, April 17, 2006

I hate the 90s (cont'd)


I probably should've found a place for The Offspring before now. Anyone who recorded a song as heinous as "Pretty Fly for a White Guy" deserves worse. But 11th place will have to do:

Gonna play the field, keep it real
For you know a way, for you know a way
So if you don't break, just over compensate
At least you know you can always go on Ricki Lake


How's that for name-dropping!

Matthew Sweet was also overdue for mention. "Girlfriend" follows in 12th.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:00 AM

    "Girlfriend" by Matthew Sweet is my phone's ringtone when my wife calls and one of my all-time favorite tunes.

    I think, if anything, the man is underrated. His work after that album was not nearly as commercially viable, but really excellent.

    He's now doing a 60's cover album with the former lead singer of The Bangles, Sussanah Hoffs.

    Granted, "Girlfriend" is simple and straight-forward, but it's power pop, man! We need more truly fun pop artists and not the kind of kiddy, bubblegum crap like the boy bands of the late 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:55 AM

    I was almost ready to shot you down a few days back when you mentioned Jewel, but I cannot stand by and let you drag Matthew Sweet down too, Seriously, if you cannot appreciate "Girlfriend" for what it is (a classic 3 1/2 minute pop song that borrows from Jefferson Airplane's "Somebody To Love") then, I don't want to say something is wrong with you, but your musical choices are very suspect

    ReplyDelete