Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The cat whisperer

Cat person or dog person? In my family, it's always been the former. My dad taught me to never trust anyone who doesn't like felines. Pretty tough standard, but I'm inclined to agree.

After keeping a friend's dog recently, I casually mentioned to my father how much I enjoyed the canine's company. He paused, as if disappointed: "You still like cats better, don't you?" No doubt. You don't have to clean up after them, they're not in your face as much, they're smarter ...

Sure, there's plenty of debate about animal intelligence, and no firm answers. But for me, independece trumps dependence. Cats hear you call for them, they know their name, they just choose when to come ... like humans.

And cats are picky. Dogs, meanwhile, are desperate. Cats seem to sense respect, as well. They know who likes them and who doesn't. If you don't, they'll avoid you. If you do, they'll give you a few minutes. A dog will do just about anything to win you over.

Cats are Peter Sellers. Dogs are Adam Sandler. (Of course, there are exceptions, like my friend Nurse Hall's canine or Al Kosa's pooch. And the German Shepherd I had as a child).

Otherwise, seems conclusive enough to me who wins this argument.

2 comments:

  1. HA! Whenever my wife tries to point out that one or both of our cats prefer her to me, I point out that, at any given moment, both cats are more than likely piled on me and not her and I end with, "clearly, I am the cat whisperer around here."

    I'm stoked someone else uses that phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:58 PM

    Cats are just the far superior pet.
    End of story.

    ReplyDelete