Friday, May 26, 2006

Stop flipping

You come home from a day of work, with another to follow, and turn on the TV looking for a little diversion, which you know is virtually impossible. Proof presents itself when you turn to one of those awful "best ever" shows narrated by some talentless comic you've never heard of. I click over to "The 100 Funniest Movies" and see "Waiting for Guffman" rank 95th. I assume I'm watching some sort of farce, but then I see "Father of the Bride," "Clueless, "Zoolander," "Sister Act" "Half Baked" and "Ghostbusters" listed ahead of "Guffman" (Catherine O'Hara's hair made me laugh more than the other movies combined). Paraphrasing Dr. Jerry Pearl, those flicks are merely observing the class clown. (Soon after I have to endure the writers of "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle" and an editor from Teen People comment on the merits of "Team America: World Police.")

No question our culture has lost its sense of humor. I'm told we once had one, but I'm beginning to have my doubts.

I've stopped watching, but I'll wager "Meet the Parents" makes the Top 20, while "Being There" doesn't even place. I shouldn't care, but I enjoy being pissed off.

3 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to tell you that I was introduced to "Being There" in a writing class at Emerson (nice prof who sometimes just let us watch films for fun, with no assignment to follow) and, at least once a day, I try to use the quote: "Yes, Ben. I understand." No one ever gets it! And "Waiting for Guffman" -- don't even get me started. The musical number with the alien...watching that leaves me with a belly sore from laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Ben, I would understand if you used that around me. Peter Sellers is truly brilliant in that film (and I hate hyperbole).
    So how u managing, Norma. Sorry again to hear about your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Malcontent. I am holding up for the most part, with occasional moments of sudden and uncontrollable weeping. I suppose it will be like this for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete