Saturday, May 20, 2006

Is it me you're looking for?

Democracy may be a hard sell in Iraq, but our shitty pop culture translates everywhere.

I have been to Iraq nine times since the American invasion three years ago, for a total of about 10 solid months. (My wife is counting.) During that time, I have seen bombs and blood, I have seen rebuilding and restructuring, and I have seen death and democracy. So what have I heard? That's easy: Lionel Richie.

Grown Iraqi men get misty-eyed by the mere mention of his name. "I love Lionel Richie," they say. Iraqis who do not understand a word of English can sing an entire Lionel Richie song.

Maybe they could convince his anorexic daughter to chow down some chicken machboos (that be spiced chicken with rice ... think Nicole could handle that?)

Meanwhile, I hear Michael McDonald is big in Qatar.

No comments:

Post a Comment