Tuesday, May 23, 2006

America, fuck ya!

I'm not really into modern country, so I can't give you an opinion on the Dixie Chicks' music. As for their politics, I could care less, although I have some admiration for anyone willing to sacrifice profit for principle (grandstanding aside).

As they did back in 2003 -- when Natalie Maines told a London audience she was ashamed to be from the same state as George W. -- country stations are refusing to play the trio's allegedly provocative new album (when did Nashville turn into Riyadh?)

Cash quote: The program director at KUBL/KKAT in Salt Lake City told Billboard he was angered by its "self-indulgent and selfish lyrics."

I'm guessing Toby Keith hasn't been banned from the Salt Lake station. Check out these lyrics from his 2005 song, "As Good As I Once Was."

I ain't as good as I once was

Thats just the cold hard truth

I still throw a few back, talk a little smack

When I'm feelin bullet proof

So don't double dog dare me now

'Cause I'd have to call your bluff

I ain't as good as I once was

But I'm as good once as I ever was

Maybe not be good as I once was

But I'm as good once as I ever was

Is that humble enough for Utah?

No comments:

Post a Comment