Thursday, March 16, 2006

The third rail of sexual politics

No one ever asked me, or anyone else, it seems, whether lesbians, gays and bisexuals belong under the same minority umbrella as transsexusals. But the activist class has already decided that Alexis Arquette and I share a common struggle, and it's best not to challenge the queer politburo.

Yet I can't resist. So let's dissect: Arquette decided a year ago that he wanted to become a woman. I decided, about 12 years ago, that I never wanted to sleep with a woman again. Just because we both may be despised or misunderstood (and frankly, I don't understand the inclination to chop off one's penis, but it's not my place to say he can't, or shouldn't), does that make us brothers? Or brother and sister? Or ... see, it's confusing.

Why not invite polygamists in? Hey, if you wanna have three wives, go for it. Not my business. But does it have anything to do with me?

As Stephen H. Miller writes on the Independent Gay Forum:

Sorry, but the desire to obliterate your born-gender identity (and, specifically, your detested sexual equipment) in order to live, usually, as a heterosexual has little to do with the gay experience—or simply with same-sex attraction. But "LGBT" activism thrives on obscuring this difference as if it were merely one of degree, further confusing the public regarding the nature of homosexuality.

And don't think the religious right isn't paying attention. This isn't helping the move for gay equality --- marriage, adoption, etc. Is that fair? I don't know. Frankly, I'm not sure how I would've adjusted had my mom or dad turned into my dad or mom.

Again, I don't favor dicrimination of any kind. Nor do I favor this brand of sexual equivalency. Trannies should forward their own case for equality. It won't be an easy case to make, but, as evidenced in this post, I have no idea how to make it. Nor do many gay, lesbians or (sigh) bisexuals.

Not that we had a choice in the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment