Thursday, January 05, 2006

Arrrested developments


Sometimes, I have to shine the spotlight of derision directly in the mirror. I've had some recent conversations with friends that should've embarrassed us all, but likely didn't.

One steered me into a discussion about MTV's "Laguna Beach." After first feigning ignorance, I admitted that yes, I had viewed the reality soap. He even got me to agree that Stephen is a hottie.

Watching "My Super Sweet 16" isn't quite as shameful, and it's a habit shared by friends that include two business execs and a neuroscientist. You see, we're not laughing with them, but at them. Particularly the "divo" featured in one of the earlier episodes.

Another good pal, a married professional pushing 40, was once an avid fan of "The O.C.," resorting to blogging about the show. Don't get him started on Seth and Summer.

You may wonder: are we all perverts, or adolescents who've never grown up? Perhaps a little of both (more than others in some cases), but I just can't sit through "Nova."

I prefer to think of us all as mere observers of the culture ... anthropologists, if you will. Yeah, that sounds good.

2 comments:

  1. My Super Sweet 16 is quality television. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. Hey, at least we have moved on from Jerry Springer. "Jerry, she a ho and she don't wear no drawers (pronounced draws)"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to mention "Fifteen," our embarrassing collegiate habit ...
    "Cause I'm 15 ... beyond a shadow of a doubt!"

    ReplyDelete