Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Antiquing with Mother Snyder


Although I'm a little too young to remember Tom Snyder's "Tomorrow" show, my pal D. Scott and I were avid viewers of Snyder's already-forgotten late 1990s chatfest.

Granted, it helped to be stoned, but there was something hypnotic about the host's on-air awkwardness. Typically, he knew nothing about his guests. Often, he seemed to care less, taking every opportunity to inject his own meandering anecdotes.

Most revolved around one character (and yes, I'm aware I'm doing only a mild variation on the Dan Aykroyd SNL caricature, circa the late 1970s):

"You know Mother Snyder and I love the Kentucky Fried Chicken. She likes the extra crispy, you know, and me, well, I'm an original kind of guy. Ha ha ha ha ha! A-ny-ways Mother Snyder just can't understand how someone would choose the original skin, which I find plenty cripsy, over the extra crispy.

So we're at the drive-thru and Mother Snyder is correcting my order to the guy in the box. Ha ha ha ha ... I know, right! I told her, I said, Mother Snyder, I'm a grown man and if I don't want my chicken layered in fried batter then that's my choice. Well she goes on and on about how I don't know what I want and that's why my first wife left me and ..."


Consider this a free endorsement for "The Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder: Punk and New Wave" DVD. There's sure to be loads of laughs from Snyder's interview with Johnny Rotten.

Might I suggest a follow-up DVD: "The Best of Mother Snyder Stories?"

No comments:

Post a Comment