Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Pet peeve of the week


Molly Ivins can't say that, can she? I remember hearing about that book as a teen, and it got on my nerves even then. What the hell was she saying that was sooo controversial?

If she had published the book in Saudi Arabia, maybe I would've bought the rhetorical bravado. Standard liberal dogma is not all that daring, but still Ivins' self-importance has caught on among other medicore columnists, critics and comics.

"Yeah, I said it." "You heard me." Everyone likes to think they're the only people bold enough to make an off-color assertion, or a particularly sharp putdown. As if there's some bravery involved in being David Spade. Honesty shouldn't be that big a deal.

More often than not, people who start their sentences with the above proclamations go on to say nothing particularly insightful. Crude and predictable, perhaps, but nothing you haven't heard before.

Yes, ATL Macontent said it. That's right, I went there. And I'll go there tomorrow, and the next day ...

No comments:

Post a Comment